Tuesday, October 23, 2007

pumpkin goo

Last night I finally carved the pumpkin that's been sitting on the kitchen counter for about a week. I was promptly reminded why I haven't carved a pumpkin since I was about six. Simply removing the top so I could empty it out was an endeavor with a large knife that should only be attempted by trained professionals. I am not a trained professional. Before I knew it, I was literally up to my elbows in pumpkin goo. As well as the outside of the pumpkin being covered. My cat tried to sneak a bite, but I'm not sure what that would have done to his digestive track. The last thing I needed was a cat with the runs upstairs and the litter box downstairs. I sent him to his food bowl and standing next to it he mocked me for a bit before heading back upstairs to hang out with Uncle Joram.

After what seemed like endless hours of scraping (probably would have gone faster if I'd been concentrating on it instead of trying to watch tv too), I deemed it clean enough for carving. Well. That's where the second issue came in. I have no creativity when it comes to pumpkin faces. I opted for a lovely toothy grin with triangle eyes. Yes, it looks like a five year old made it.

Finally, I put it on the counter and lit a candle inside, okay, it's pretty cute. Joram then came downstairs and was going to light his masterpiece. To which we found the entire inside of his was covered in fuzzy mold and the bottom was pretty much rotten. YES! I have the coolest pumpkin in the house. His had to be tossed. Which was sad, because it was definitely art. He says he's going to go get another one to carve, but I don't know why he'd want to go through the pumpkin goo again.

No comments: