Monday, October 8, 2007

no snooze button

I'm trying to eliminate the snooze button from my life. Really, whose idea was this? An extra 7 or 9 minutes is not going to change my outlook on the crappy morning that is apparently already beginning. Yesterday, for example, my alarm went off nice and early at 7am (yes, on a Sunday). I laid there for a few minutes trying to remember why I run. Oh yes, because I don't want to get fat. And because I love it or something crazy like that. I drag myself out of bed and can hear both my cat and my roommate still snoring. Great, rub it in. I head downstairs to make some oatmeal and watch the news. Showers early, dumping buckets later. Well, I better get going soon, I've got 8 miles to get in. I prepare myself for the elements with shorts, a sleeveless wicking shirt and then a long-sleeve half zip, gloves and a hat. And of course my iPod, which only has some decent music on it. I left most of my CDs at work.

Now, this is the first "long run" I've done since I moved. Meaning, the only scheduled one where I knew exactly how far I HAD to go, not just how far I wanted to go. Big difference. I basically live at the top of a hill. One side there is an 11% grade the other a 9%. Which torture do I want first? I pick the 11%. Needless to say, it was a very painful run. And in some parts, only a walk. The wind and rain picked up and I could barely propel myself forward. My legs felt like lead and my breathing was hard. Somehow I finished it in a respectable (for me) time. And to celebrate, I spent the next several hours hanging out in my sweaty running clothes watching football.

Joram and I watched "Silent Hill" which, if they don't create a sequel, I will be very disturbed. Although I'm still confused by the movie as it is.

Halloween is coming up soon, and I haven't decided if I actually want to dress up. I've got a couple invites to "costume mandatory" parties. Can't I just go to a haunted corn maze and call it good?

This is my world, and I need a nap.

No comments: